Thursday, March 6, 2008

Making the Most Of Your Situation

Yesterday, while on a fairly straightforward assignment for a corporate client covering their day's conference, the day was scheduled to include a brief meet-and-greet with the legend Cal Ripkin. I'd originally intended to do this with on-camera strobe, but the client wanted me to bring a background. So, I selected my favorite - Thunder Grey. It wasn't until we were pulling the seamless from the car, that I got a thought:

"I am about to photograph a legendary baseball player infront of a seamless. What can I do to make this better?

(Continued after the Jump)

So I pulled out my Chimera 57 and set it up as a 7' softbox. We had it in the car from the day before, doing a magazine cover shoot, and hadn't offloaded the equipment because of the late wrap-time the night before, and a 6am call time for this shoot.

We moved through the group photos fairly quickly (at left is an example), and working with Cal was an illustration of the height of professionalism. I'd worked with him several times before, doing official portraits (lights and all) for other endeavors he's involved in, but never with a seamless, which I'd wanted to do for some time. People were immediately put at ease by him, and even though people knew they were coming to have their image made with him, and he knew he was there for that reason (before giving a presentation) he still asked each of them "would you take a picture with me?" which put each of those being photographed with him at ease, and facilitated the process in a very efficient manner. Further, I had just the light I wanted to have Cal in for him against the seamless.

In the end, I had an expedited shoot thanks to Cal's making it smooth as people entered and exited the portrait area, a very happy client, and, for me, a portrait that I'd wanted to make for some time.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I photographed Cal back in the eighties for a milk producers ad campaign. the client wanted Cal catching a baseball while looking into the camera. My Israeli assistant and client could not throw a ball to save their life. So, I got to lob a ball with Cal for about twenty minutes - left hand the shutter release - right hand on the ball and the assistant advancing the Hassy and changing backs.

He was totally a pro. What was cool, there was a guy putting up drywall in the building and Cal remembered him from High School, went up to him and starting talking to him - not the other way around.

A very genuine guy.

Anonymous said...

You are truly talentless. I can see where all your anger towards GYI stems from...

Anonymous said...

"You are truly talentless."

Really professional. An accusation posted anonymously, offering no link to your work. Your remarks have no credibility.

Anonymous said...

congratulations for this space.
I didn't know it, I'll come back to read more about photography and concert photography.

ciao
Valerio
liveon35mm.com

Anonymous said...

To those that dislike john's delivery of one frame, all by itself, presented in the context of a service related thread, think about going to a restaurant and what your expectations normally are. I myself look for the way I am treated as paramount to the OVERALL experience. If some teenager with an apathy quotient in the thousands brought me the best meal of my life I would still remember the lousy service. Dependable customer satisfying service will outlast any attitude with talent. Number one rule folks KNOW WHO YOUR CLIENT IS. If they're happy all is good regardless of every creation not being on a Piccaso scale. Go back and look at the title of this blog. Thanks John for sharing your fine attitudes for service.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Sounds like win, win, win all around.

To the anon commenter above: Own your words. Don't hide behind anonymity, especially if you're going to say something negative.

Newer Post Older Post