Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Know Your Dusters

Today, I am on assignment in New Orleans, and after the scout and with some down time, we found ourselves wandering the Canal Street Mall. Not much to see. In fact, it looks like every other mall in America - a Saks, movie theater, Kenneth Cole, and, yes, a Brooks Brothers.

So, looking to kill some time, I walked in, and asked if they had something close to a duster.

(Continued after the Jump)

The sales clerk - was a well dressed young man, early to mid-30's. He walked us to and fro, showing me things that clearly were nowhere near a duster. I was, you see, looking for something that wasn't a trench coat, and also not a sports coat, but something in-between both length-wise and weight wise. The clerk in this fine mens' clothing store, kept showing me the wrong things. So I, and my first assistant left.

It was a few moments later, that my second assistant, who was outside on a call, came looking for us (we had left to wander aimlessly), and overheard the clerk who had been assisting us, asking his colleague "what's a duster?" And, the colleague gave him the answer, as was reported to me when she caught up to us elsewhere in the mall.

I was shocked. Honestly. It wasn't like I had walked into a TJ Maxx, or a Marshalls, and asked for a duster. I walked into a store that specialized in fine mens' clothing (and outdoor clothing as well). Who sells all sorts of books about the nuances and details of mens' clothing. And this clerk didn't know what I was talking about. Nor did he ask me what one was - he just acted like he did as he walked me back and forth the length of the store several times.

There is a lesson in here.

You too must know your product and service - photography. Backwards and forwards. Do you know what circles of confusion are? Why an 85mm f1.2 looks better at f4 than an 85mm f2.8 at the same aperture? Do you know what flash duration is? What about Scheimpflug? Ok, let's try something easier - what is the color temperature of Tungsten? What about guide numbers? How are they calculated?

Ok - a little too bookworm-ish?

When a client says they want a "high key" image - do you get it?

When a client says we pay "2/10 net 30 are you ok with that?" What will be the impact to you on a $500 invoice? a $9,800 invoice? (and show your work.)

When a client asks if you have a COI, what do you answer?

There is a lot to learn, and the truly wise man knows he knows nothing. Yet, I am not asking you to cite Newton's Law, Einstein's Theory, or even Murphy's law. I am asking you questions about the nuances and details of your profession. Knowing these things can define you as a true professional, a craftsman. Not these answers alone, of course, but they do contribute to the overall benefit and knowledge-base you bring to a shoot, and how your value is established.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the UK a duster is something that you polish furniture with! I know the other technical questions but I really don't know why an 85 1.2 is better at f4 than a 85 2.8. Please tell me....please. If you tell me I won't let on that it is Scheimpflug and not Scheinflug. The later was an Aussie footballer in the 70's;-) Your general point is very well made though.

John Harrington said...

Fixed - with a link - thanks.

Think about the 85mm - it's all about what part of the glass represents f4 - more of the edge, or less. The closer to the center of the glass, the cleaner the image.

John

Anonymous said...

Thanks John

spottheblogger said...

Why an 85mm f1.2 looks better at f4 than an 85mm f2.8 at the same aperture?

I didn't (exactly), but I do now. THANKS! I did know that no lens is at its very sharpest at the widest setting, but I hadn't processed exactly why.

What about guide numbers? How are they calculated?

My understanding of guide numbers is that they are an arcane bit of knowledge needed for lighting calculations used in the manual exposure calculation days, that I hope I never have to use in real life. Thank goodness for modern light meters! If there's a good reason for knowing guide number calculations when using modern lighting and light meters, can someone explain it?

When a client asks if you have a COI, what do you answer?

I'm not Jill Greenberg, and that little stunt she pulled was incredibly unprofessional. I've shot for campaigns that are the opposite of my personal political views, and done my best to portray the candidate in a good light.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were referring to a Plymouth Duster and wondering why you were at a mall and not just some used car lot.

Anonymous said...

You give discount terms on early invoice payment? Do you find clients taking advantage or do they typically pay in 30?

Anonymous said...

dude thought you wuz asking about some "dust"...where could you cop some, yknow, in da quarters, brah.. look I'll meetcha in Clinton alley, J-dog, right behind the customs house..

I take it you were in Brooks Broz...

fyi: Canal PLACE Mall..

flame on J-dog....

Anonymous said...

(法新社倫敦四日電) 英國情色大亨芮孟的公司昨天說,芮孟av日前去avdvd世,享壽八十二歲;這位身價上億的房地產開發商,曾經在倫敦推出第一場脫av女優衣舞情色視訊表演。


芮孟的日本av財產估成人網站計達六億五千萬英鎊(台幣將近成人網站四百億),由於他名情色電影下事業大av多分av女優布在倫敦夜部落格生活情色區蘇活區,因此擁有「蘇活之王」的稱號。

a片
他的公色情影片司「保成人羅芮孟集團」旗下發行多種成人影片成人光碟色雜誌,包括「Raz色情zle」、「av女優男性世成人影片界」以及「Mayfa部落格ir」。


芮孟本av名傑福瑞.安東尼色情.奎恩,父親為a片下載搬運承包部落格商。芮孟十五歲離開學校,矢言要在表演事業留名,情色電影起先表演讀a片心術,a片a片來成為巡迴歌舞雜耍表演的製作人。
成人網站
sex
成人影片許多色情評論家認成人為,他把情色表演帶進主流社會,一九五九年主持破天荒的脫成人電影衣舞表演,後來情色成人電影靠著在蘇活區與倫敦西區開發房地產賺得大筆財富。


有人AV片形容芮孟是a片下載英國的av海夫色情a片納,地位等同美國的「花花公子」創辦人海夫納。

Newer Post Older Post