Sunday, June 20, 2010

Surf Photographer - It's Harder than it looks

In anticipation of a trip to the beach this Summer, I purchased an Ewa Marine bag for my D3, and I took several dips into a local pool before headed to the shore. To be sure, I cringed when I first sunk my $5,000 camera underwater, and I quickly realized that I needed to also use the included desiccant to reduce condensation during my underwater forays.

At some point in the future, I intend to include "surf photographer" in my bag of tricks, and to that end, I am training my daughter to be my tow-in ski operator. (Pictured is one of my other daughters, Grace, age 17 months, on a short board). It's great because it's a real need for the future, and also is a nice father-daughter bonding opportunity. She's been operating jet skis since she was six, and soloing on them since she was 8 (all in controlled situations, of course.)

It was with great interest that I read Allen's post over at PhotoShelter about being a surf photographer - How to Fail as a Surf Photographer, and I recommend it to you for some insightful reading.

(Comments, if any, after the Jump)


Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

3 comments:

Robert said...

Best way to add "surf photographer" to your skills: learn to surf! Aside from having fun, you'll be able to better anticipate what's going on and make meaningful images that appeal to surfers and non-surfers.

Micah Kvidt said...

Fun Post!

Unknown said...

We're you happy with the EWA bag's performance? I'm headed to Hawaii in a few weeks and was considering getting one for the trip to use while snorkeling.

Newer Post Older Post